Why SEM could be your greatest investmentWe've worked with financial services brands for many years. In that time we've come to learn a lot, like how to pay off our student loans faster, save a bundle on our motorbike insurance, and invest our pennies wisely. More importantly, we've honed our understanding of what it takes for finance and insurance brands to thrive in SEM:
- Location isn't as prominent here as it is in other industries. There is some focus on local search, but users are mostly looking for a product that is relevant to them—and offers that are valid in their location.
- People are generally comparison shopping for the best price regardless of location, so they're less inclined to visit a broker's physical location.
- Users are also looking for a degree of security, which gives well-known brands an advantage: they are perceived to provide lower risk, more secure options.
- People are looking to complete an easy form and receive a fast quote, which means removing friction between the user and the form can bring big wins (i.e. sitelink linked directly to the quote tool).
- Negative keywords are important. There are a lot of irrelevant queries to filter out due to the broad range of services available (i.e. "insurance").
- Remarketing is a great tool due to the consideration period, particularly if you're limited by budget. Staying top of mind during the consideration period is key.
- There's a lot of mobile traffic; more than most sectors, in fact. A strong mobile strategy and fluid mobile experience is incredibly important.
- You need to differentiate your strategy for business hours (driving phone and completed quotes) and for non-business hours (completed quotes only).